Amour NORM

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Confidence in Him & in You

I had shared this not too long ago but wanted to echo it here on the inter web. I hope you enjoy!


Mark 6:30-44 (my paraphrase)

Here we see Jesus with His disciples getting away for some R&R. The Bible says that they didn't even have the time to eat with all the ministry going on. What happens when they come ashore? More people! Now, Jesus being who He is, was moved with compassion and continued to minister and teach everyone. It began to get late and the disciples went to Jesus to have Him send the people away for food. Jesus told the disciples to feed them. The disciples were confused and couldn't. It was impossible. They gathered 5 loaves and 2 fish to feed a crowd which numbered 5,000 men alone. Everyone ate and was satisfied. 12 baskets of leftovers were collected.

Okay, just to be honest here I would completely side with the disciples. They were supposed to be on vacation, they were hungry, and there was no escape! lol I don't know about you, but when I'm tired and hungry I can get cranky. So I can understand why the disciples were ready to send the people away. It seemed logical: We're tired & hungry & so are the people. We are in the middle of nowhere and have no food. Send them to go get themselves something to eat. Jesus, though, had something else in mind.

As I was thinking about all of this I realized 2 things:

1. be confident in Him. Where the disciples saw a break in ministry time Jesus saw an opportunity of another magnitude. You see, the disciples were sending the people away to meet their own need. Know that Jesus was serious when He said He would never leave you or forsake you. Jesus is showing that in our time of need He will be there to meet it! There is nothing that is impossible for Him and you are never left to fend for yourself. Trust Him. Rely on Him. Have faith in Him.

2. be confident in you. In thinking on the size of the crowd in comparison to the amount of food on hand, ummm....is anyone else not getting the math to add up? Even the disciples had said it would take hundreds of denarii to purchase enough food for the crowd. I wonder what it would have been like being the person who the bread or the fish. As the disciples were coming through gathering what they could, would I have given up the little I had? How insignificant would 1 fish or 1 loaf seem in comparison to the masses? Maybe I would have thought that it wouldn't have made a difference. Maybe I would have felt like I needed to keep it for myself just in case there wasn't going to be enough food--after all, I need to look after me.

Just the same, you are equipped with gifts and talents and resources that can be used to further the Kingdom of God. You are able to be a blessing. You are called to be the difference. You are capable of being part of the WOW factor Jesus is known for. One thing that can stop us is our mind. If we begin to think that who we are or what we have to offer is inadequate we will never step out and allow God to use us. One fish by itself or a couple loaves sitting along may seem foolish but in the hands of God is was more than enough! You may think your gift is silly & you may feel foolish, but good thing the Lord uses the foolish things....

As always, with love,
Abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment